July 28, 2016

Be Gentle With Me

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

I always seem to have better luck with my art journal when I just go with the flow instead of trying to plan the page. Oh my goodness, If I plan things out too meticulously, the page just never goes right. I end up disappointed when my work doesn't go my way. So, I have to just embrace the work and go with the flow!

Be Gentle With Me
Art journal page, penny black stamp
#artjournalpage
I recently picked up a Penny Black Rose stamp a few weeks ago. I have been dying to use it! Oh, before I forget, Penny Black has a youtube channel, and recently started doing art journal demos. They have really fab tutorials yall. Check them out! The inspiration for this page came from there.

A few things I'd like to point out: The Penny Black Rose stamp stamped fabulously! This is a cling stamp. I am wow'd. I didn't have to stand on my tippy toes, hold my breath and stamp hoping for a clear image. Rubber cling stamps are diving if you're a stamper.

I used Vintage Photo Distress Ink to stamp the rose, then walked away to let it dry. When I came back, it looked like the ink spread out a lot. Before it dried, it was more of a clear, perfectly stamped image. So, I either inked the stamp too much which is possible. And the room I was working in was extremely humid. Keep in mind that Distress Ink is not permanent. It was really humid and I believe the moisture in the air gave the this effect.  Regardless, I love how it turned out. I think the ink bleeding a bit worked in my favor. It adds some character, and I didn't have to color anything in.

Here is a pic with the flash off: (I like it better with the flash off)
art journal page
#Artjournalpage
Also, I wrote the words myself!! I definitely need some more practice, I know that, but I'm working on it. My hands are incredibly shaky. I swear my hands twitch. I had waaaay to much coffee too.

I did make the mistake of not using a permanent pen for the wording. Of course, I laid my hand in it, and spread the ink out more than once. Eh, it happens, but now I know for the next time to go permanent!

Here is a description on the page process:
  1. Glue down ripped book pages
  2. Gesso over everything
  3. Dab Brushed Cordory Distress Paint around the outside of the pages with your finger, lightly pulling into the center
  4. Stamp text stamp in Black Archival Ink randomly
  5. Stencil through a clock stencil using Vintage Photo Distress Ink
  6. The black diamond design on the page is a stamp I used with black Archival Ink. I don't know what to call this stamp. I found it on clearance
  7. Stamp Penny Black Rose Stamp using vintage photo distress ink, masking any areas you feel necessary.
  8. Stencil with Tim Holtz Harlequin Stencil using Victorian Velvet Distress Ink- This is faint in the page, it's pushed into the background and only visible with the flash on my camera
  9.  Write the quote, or saying using a permanent marker or pen. Make sure its permanent!
Thanks for stopping over. XO
art journal page
#artjournalpage
I'd like to enter this into the following:
  1. Creative Artiste's Challenge #16, anything goes
  2. Crafting with an attitude, Challenge #17, anything goes


6 comments:

  1. I wouldn't say it is an easy journal page you have created... But a lovelyJournal page you created.... Thank you so much for entering our challenge over at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog, we hope to see you join in again...

    Hugs Rhonda DT & Owner
    http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! I swear it's easier than it sounds! I need to get a video camera!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a lovely comment, I really appreciate it. Your journal page looks fabulous with a monochromatic palette - in fact it fits with the challenge at A Vintage Journey. http://www.vintagejourney.com/2016/07/a-vintage-journey-july-challenge.html xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog Brenda! I hop over there pretty often to check out your creations, I must say.
    Thanks for popping over here too! And thanks for the notice on a Vintage Journey.
    I'm so new to blogging still, but I'm getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it! There's a haunting elegance in this AJ which I find captivating. Great job, Melissa
    x Asha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Asha! Sorry for the delayed response. I appreciate the sweet comment.

      Delete