April 2, 2016

First Try At A Face

I'm sharing this face is because someone sent me a sweet comment on my Cat in the hat Journal Page They said they loved it and wished they could create something so pretty. (Thanks for the love dear heart!)  

The whole reason I started this blog is to show my art journal, whether I love the work or not.  Up until this point, I've only shared the pages I like, or the pages I thought were good enough to share. That isn't the reason I started this blog. The reason I started this blog was to inspire, share my work, connect with people, and grow.I also want people that are scared of getting involved in art that it's all a learning process.

There are millions of people starting to art journal with no clue what to do. Or, there are a million people that are too scared to get into that paint and make a mistake. Fear of a mistake is a HUGE reason why people don't start something.

Listen yall, this is an art journal. A mistake or mishap is not that serious. If I'm not satisfied with my work, guess what? I can just turn the page!!!! Yea! I wish I could put an emoji in here so you know I'm smiling while writing this.

Below Is My First Face

I'm  proud of myself for finishing her. This was the first face I've ever done. I do need practice and I will continue to practice. But for the first try, its not so shabby, eh? They make it look so damn easy in the youtube videos though!!  

One thing I need to work on is figuring out what products work best for me doing faces. I've seen people use colored pencils, gesso, neocolors, paint, and every other product on the market for their faces. I want to figure out what works best for me and not use the exact same products someone else is using.

As for supplies, I used what I had on hand. I have a ton of supplies and don't want to buy anymore for a while. I used mostly all acrylic paint, colored pencil, a gel pen, a bic pen, and a little bit of gelatos.

mixed media face

I have to admit, there was a time I wanted to quit, rip the page out, and throw it in the garbage.  But I persevered yall! It took me about a half hour just to get the face on paper using a pencil. I kept drawing and erasing, drawing and erasing because I was obsessed with getting the eyes just perfect. They didn't turn out perfect anyway lol.

I definitely learned a few things doing this:
  1. I work better with small pieces
  2. Keep the paint wet so it's easier to blend when shading
  3. No face is perfectly symmetrical, its OK to have uneven eyes
  4. Step away when you get frustrated
  5. Be careful with then pen you use to outline. Some of these pens are not waterproof. If you decide to go back and clean a few things up, the ink will leak.
  6. Practice will make this process easier
Once I finished the face, I decided to leave the rest of the page alone. I will go back later and finish the page. I tend to work in segments. Its just my way. I am absolutely going to continue working with faces and finding my style.

Thanks for stopping by! Stay positive and give it a go!

2 comments:

  1. I like it! I love the shading in the hair too. I think you did a great job, can't tell it's your first! I love that you share everything, the stuff you love and the stuff you don't love as much (although I'm never sure why you don't, as they all look good). It encourages me to just get in there and try. I think we are our own worst critics, but your posts help me. I'm new to art journaling, so I'm going to make some that aren't so great. But instead of getting frustrated, I can just say "Melissa said there'd be days like this." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so sweet Tish. I just love you! Heck yes there will be days like this! lol It's so true when people say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

    ReplyDelete