February 28, 2016

Workin' 9-5

Mixed Media Tag using Tim Holtz Typewriter Die Cut

I  often have a hard time finding inspiration. I can go days without making things because I have NO ideas.  So many ideas came to mind with this theme from Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. I am going to turn to music more often for inspiration. The theme is: Inspired by a song...
#arttag
I choose Ms. Dolly Parton's -Workin' 9-5. Seriously, who doesn't love Ms. Dolly? The lyrics that stood out for me go like this:

Workin' 9 to 5
What a way to make livin'
Barely gettin' by
It's all takin'
And no givin'
They just use your mind
And you never get the credit
It's enough to drive you
Crazy if you let it


Before I get into the tutorial, I have to tell you why this typewriter on my tag is significant.

I'm an administrative assistant at a Borough Office for a small town. Including myself, there are 4  people in the office. When I had my interview, the Borough Manager made it clear she needed someone who was good with technology. I had NO idea what I was in for. My first day on the job, forms came in from the state that needed completed. I asked what software they were using to convert the form to a PDF which would enable me to type on the form in the computer. No one had any idea what I was talking about, and I was shown a TYPEWRITER!!

I was boggled by this huge piece of metal. I couldn't believe my boss was making me use a typewriter in 2012. Never in my life did I use a typewriter. Honestly, I never saw a typewriter in person until that day. Of course I know how to type, but this thing is intimidating. Its huge! The lid opens and there are metal parts that need cleaned and changed. I didn't know how to change typewriter ribbons. I didn't know how to adjust for line spacing, and indenting, I had no idea how to erase a letter or word. But, I learned quick.


Its been almost 4 years at this job and I have to tell you, I use the typewriter every single day! I am a typewriter pro! At times its much more convenient than using a computer. I wish I had a picture for you. I'm going to take a pic this week and edit the post. From my understanding, the typewriter is from the 60's. It works fantastic. I don't think I'd want another admin job without access to a typewriter. Its so funny, people come in the office and are stunned when they see a typewriter. 

Very slowly I'm getting the office up to date with technology.I'm teaching them and they're teaching me too!

On to the tutorial...

This is a huge tag! I made the tag from a manila file folder. I applied a layer of gesso first. Once that dried, I randomly inked letters from a stampendous stamp and stamped the tag. A layer of  tumbled glass distress paint was applied with a baby wipe. Once the paint dried, I added a few scribbles of a blue gelato. 

I went around the edges of the tag with black archival ink. The black wasn't dark enough so I went around the tag again with black paint on a makeup sponge. 
I applied mermaid lagoon distress ink through a Tim Holtz stencil. I also applied texture paste taste through another Tim Holtz stencil. 
A bottle cap dipped in paint always adds a little something extra. I dipped the bottle cap in white paint and black paint then stamped it to the page. I also diluted white paint with water and flicked it on the page with a paint brush. The last thing for the background was a prima stamp. I stamped it with gray paint. At this point I think the tag starts coming together.
The typewriter die cut was ordered on etsy. I poked the pieces out then painted the typewriter black. I traced the die cut on a painted piece of file folder, then cut it out and glued it to the back of the die. You can see I put a little piece of paper in the typewriter. You'll see on the finished tag the wording on the paper inside the typewriter. That came from Tim Holtz rub-ons.
 Lastly, I stamped the lyrics on cardstock with black archival ink, cut them out, inked the edges and glued them to the tag. I didn't use all the lyrics I stamped. It ended up being too much on the tag.
And the finished tag...

#arttag
I'd like to enter this tag into the following challenges:
Simon Says Stamp Monday Inspired By A Song Challenge
That Craft Place Challenge  5- Anything Goes
Happy Little Stampers February Mixed Media Challenge Paint
Creative Artiste Challenge 11 Anything Goes With Mixed Media
 

No comments:

Post a Comment